Located 350 kilometres southeast of Newfoundland and Labrador in the Jeanne d’Arc Basin is a major oil find: the Hebron oil field. This summer, the Hebron Gravity Base Structure (GBS), an offshore production facility, is being towed into place over the oil field to begin oil production. The project provides major economic benefit to Newfoundland and Labrador.
- 700 million barrels is the estimated amount of oil contained in the Hebron oil field.
- 93 metres is the water depth at the Hebron field
- 150,000 barrels per day of oil will be produced by the Hebron platform at peak production.
- 5 companies have joined together to support the Hebron project: ExxonMobil Canada Properties, Chevron Canada, Suncor Energy, Statoil Canada and Nalcor Energy.
- $14 billion have been invested into the Hebron project.
- 750,000 tonnes is the total weight of the Hebron platform. That’s more than seven aircraft carriers.
- 7,500 employees were working on the platform in Newfoundland and Labrador at peak construction.
Also, check out the time-lapse video of the construction of the Hebron platform here.