- NL has produced approximately 26% of Canada’s conventional light crude oil and approximately 8% of Canada total crude oil, cumulative from 1997 to 2019.
- 6,791 people are directly employed on NL oil and gas reporting projects (6,055 in the province), as of December 31, 2019.
- The industry has:
- Paid more than $22 billion in royalties to the NL government, cumulative from 1997 to 2019.
- Represented approximately 24% of the provincial GDP, cumulative from 1997 to 2017.
- Spent approximately $62.7 billion in expenditures, cumulative from 1966 to 2018.
- Spent nearly $600 million on research and development; education and training since 2004.
By the Numbers
Value of the NL offshore oil and gas industry
Newfoundland and Labrador